Latest news
Un Chauffeur de Taxi Agressé au Sabre à Quatre-Cocos
La police recherche activement deux malfrats qui ont agressé à l’arme blanche un chauffeur de taxi à Quatre-Cocos, mercredi.
20 Jan 2012, motors.mega.mu
Italian director Moretti to head Cannes jury
PARIS (AFP)Italian actor and filmmaker Nanni Moretti will head the jury at this year's Cannes film festival, organisers announced Friday.Moretti, 58, who succeeds American acting great Robert De Niro, has already presented six films at the prestigious international movie showcase, including last year's comedy 'Habemus Papam' (We Have a Pope).His 'La stanza del figlio' (The Son's Room) won the Palme d'Or at the 2001 Cannes festival."It is a joy, an honour and a great responsibility to preside over the jury at the most prestigious cinema festival in the world, which takes place in a country which has always treated the …
20 Jan 2012, Orange Ki News ?
Air France et Air Mauritius consolident leur partenariat dans l’O.I
A compter du 1er février 2012, Air France et Air Mauritius étrenneront un partenariat commercial consistant en un accord de partage de code entre La Réunion et l’Ile Maurice. Selon cet accord, Air France proposera des vols quotidiens exploités par Air Mauritius sous numéro de vol Air France entre les deux aéroports de La Réunion (Saint-Denis et Saint-Pierre) et l’île Maurice. « Air France et Air Mauritius unissent leurs efforts pour offrir de nouvelles possibilités de voyages combinant ces deux îles Vanille. De plus, Air France offre ainsi à ses clients réunionnais la possibilité d’accumuler des miles entre La Réunion …
20 Jan 2012, Orange Ki News ?
Cyclone threat to Rodrigues
At 4 pm on Thursday, the meteorological station of Vacoas issued a class 2 cyclone warning in Rodrigues. According to the forecaster of the day, the cyclone Ethel, a tropical depression, intensified into a moderate tropical storm during the day and was centered at 4 pm near the points 16.0 degrees south and 66.5 degrees [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
India book festival opens without Rushdie
JAIPUR, India (AFP)"He is not going to be in Jaipur over the next couple of days," festival producer Sanjoy Roy told reporters. "We stand by our invitation to him."First and foremost, we stand for the freedom of expression," Roy added. "This is a platform where we allow for free speech as long as it is done in a peaceful and democratic way."Roy and other organisers met with local Muslim groups on Thursday ahead of the festival's opening day. "We presented our point of view and we heard their point of view," he said.Political leaders in Rajasthan state, of which Jaipur …
20 Jan 2012, Orange Ki News ?
Good intention not enough: MMM’s Boolell
In a freewheeling interview with The Independent first time member of parliament, Mouvement Militant Mauricien’s (MMM) Satish Boolell opens up about his political aspirations, the water crisis, tackling the addiction issue and more. Excerpts from an interview: Your entry on the political scene is seen as a fresh breeze. How do you feel? One can [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
SC, HSC results out on Jan 30, Feb 6
The School Certificate (SC) and Higher School Certificate (HSC) results are expected to be out on January 30 and February 6 respectively. This was confirmed by the director of the Mauritius Examinations Syndicate (MES), Professor Lucien Finette, on Thursday. Speaking to The Independent, Professor Finette stated, “The MES has been informed that the SC results [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
Port Louis to mark Spring Festival
In the context of the Spring Festival to be celebrated on January 23, a series of activities is being organised in close collaboration with the Federation of Chinese Societies with the support of the Embassy of the People‘s Republic of China. The year 2012 is the year of the dragon, which is considered the ultimate [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
Duval reaffirms ties with France
Vice prime minister and minister of Finance, Xavier-Luc Duval, who is on an investment promotion mission since January 14, is currently in Paris. He met the French minister for Cooperation, Henri de Raincourt on Thursday. This visit was an occasion to reaffirm the friendship between the two countries. Aside from addressing the different matters of [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
Fault cuts off Emtel users for 19 hours
Emtel’s Internet, BlackBerry, Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) and Multimedia Messaging Services (MMS) were down from Wednesday night. The service was re-established at around 3 pm on Thursday. Subscribers received a message informing them that the problem was being looked into. Emtel users were still able to make and receive calls. Speaking to The Independent, Shyam [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
Mosquito control law gets tougher
Severe and necessary action will be taken against those who encourage mosquito breeding by accumulating water at their places. This was stated by the minister of Health and Quality of Life, Lormus Bundhoo on Thursday. “My ministry will be very strict with those who do not take measures to reduce the risk of mosquito breeding. [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
Police raid seafood outlet
The Brigade des Jeux seized 600 kilograms of fish at a branch of Hassen Taher Seafood at Camp Levieux, Rose Hill. The owner was fined for breaking the cold chain and failing to display the expiry date. The operation was headed by chief inspector Hector Tuyau. The company was fined by sanitary inspectors from the [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
Five school canteens booked
The health inspectorate and the sanitary officers are continuing with their inspections in the schools to ensure that the canteen owners are respecting the Educational Institutions Regulations 2009. Twenty three schools have been visited by these officers and until now five canteen owners in the capital have been booked for infringement while one owner in [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
Govt offices to open Saturdays also
According to the minister of Civil Service and Administrative Reforms, Sutyadeo Moutia, certain services of the civil sector will be available on Saturdays. “Our aim is improve access to public services. Therefore, cash offices and the Citizens Advice Bureau will remain open on Saturdays,” said Moutia. He added that this will be operational from February [...]
20 Jan 2012, The Independent Daily
Cyclone Ethel Updates For Mauritius and Rodrigues
Cyclone Ethel is the 5th cyclonic event affecting our region this season and the first to affect our territories. According to initial meteorological prediction, Ethel is to influence Rodrigues weather and the system should pass near or over the Island during Friday 20th January evening. As usual, we will update with all major information here A.W.H.I. Keep in touch. Ethel Satellite Picture courtesy of wunderground.com Latest Updates For Cyclone Ethel 20 January 2012 at 04:00 Cyclone Warning for Rodrigues: TWO Cyclone Warning for Mauritius: NONE Location: 18.0 ° S – 65.0 ° E Distance: 270 Km North East Rodrigues Direction …
20 Jan 2012, Island Crisis
CAN: trois géants pour un fauteuil
MALABO (AFP) Le Gabon et la Guinée Equatoriale accueillent à partir de samedi et jusqu'au 12 février une Coupe d'Afrique des nations marquée par l'absence de plusieurs grandes puissances continentales, des défections de poids qui pourraient laisser le champ libre à trois favoris, la Côte d'Ivoire, le Sénégal et le Ghana.C'est une véritable hécatombe qui a touché la grand-messe du football africain, remettant en cause la hiérarchie établie depuis plusieurs années et conduisant à un vaste renouvellement du plateau.Les non-qualifications des triples tenants du titre égyptiens, 7 fois vainqueurs de l'épreuve (un record), et des Lions Indomptables camerounais de Samuel …
19 Jan 2012, Orange Ki News ?
Les Etats-Unis mettent en garde la Corée du Nord contre de nouvelles provocations
WASHINGTON (AFP)Les Etats-Unis ont demandé jeudi à la Chine d'appeler au calme son allié nord-coréen, assurant que la Corée du Sud ne serait peut-être pas en mesure de faire preuve une nouvelle fois de retenue face à une énième provocation de Pyongyang.De nouveaux actes de "provocation (du Nord) risquent d'avoir de graves conséquences imprévues", a déclaré le sous-secrétaire d'Etat américain pour l'Asie de l'Est et le Pacifique Kurt Campbell."Nous devons gérer la situation avec la plus grande attention et nous attendons de la Chine qu'elle s'assure que ce message soit bien compris par la Corée du Nord", a-t-il poursuivi devant …
19 Jan 2012, Orange Ki News ?
Stamp by Real Madrid's Pepe 'a disgrace' - press
MADRID (AFP)Real Madrid's Pepe was lashed as a "world disgrace" and a "public danger" by Spain's press on Thursday after he stamped on Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi's hand as his team headed to a 2-1 loss.The sporting press splashed front-page pictures of Pepe's stamp on a prostrate Messi in the Spanish Cup quarter-final in the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday."Pepe, a public danger, was the biggest exponent of an impotent and deranged Madrid," blared the Barcelona-based sports daily Mundo Deportivo under a photograph of the incident in the 69th minute."Heroes," the Mundo Deportivo's front page said of Barca. "Villains", it said …
19 Jan 2012, Orange Ki News ?
Turquie: des milliers de personnes commémorent le journaliste assassiné Hrant Dink
ISTANBUL (AFP)Plus de 10.000 personnes se sont réunies jeudi dans le centre d'Istanbul pour rendre hommage au journaliste turc d'origine arménienne Hrant Dink, tué cinq ans plus tôt par un jeune nationaliste, et pour conspuer les autorités après le rejet par un tribunal des accusations de complot."Etat assassin, tu devras rendre des comptes", et "Main dans la main contre le fascisme", ont scandé les manifestants - plus de 10.000 personnes selon une source policière, 20.000 selon les télévisions - devant les locaux de l'hebdomadaire bilingue turc-arménien Agos, que dirigeait Dink et où il a été abattu."Vous qui avez tout fait …
19 Jan 2012, Orange Ki News ?
Ancelotti confirms PSG's Tevez interest
PARIS (AFP)Paris Saint-Germain coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed his club's interest in Manchester City's errant striker Carlos Tevez on Thursday and described it as "a great opportunity" for the Ligue 1 leaders."Everyone knows that we want a striker," said Ancelotti."Tevez is a great opportunity for us to sign a great striker. We have to talk to the player and to Manchester City. We hope to find a solution."Asked whether talks had already begun, Ancelotti replied: "I don't talk to his agent. (PSG sporting director) Leonardo will talk to him. I don't know when."Ancelotti also said that the fact Tevez had not …
19 Jan 2012, Orange Ki News ?
